Monday, July 14, 2008

A New Frock!

Ok, so this post is not related to MY wedding, however, it is wedding related. I need a new dress for my brother's wedding. On the surface, this does not seem like a difficult task. I love to shop; I love to shop for clothes; I love to have a good reason to shop for clothes!

The wedding in question, is not for another month. Plenty of time to find a simple, tea length, semi formal dress right?


Wrong. Oh so woefully wrong.


The fashion gods are mocking me my friends. This season, everything is either too short (hello underwear), too clingy (hello belly button), too patterned (hello cringing photographer), or too casual (hello jersey with pockets).

Oh I know what you're thinking.....

"Tcha! It can't be THAT difficult. She obviously hasn't looked hard enough"

Why don't I run you through the list of he stores I've visited so far, hmm?
  • RW & Co
  • le Chateau
  • Suzy Sheir
  • Smart Set
  • Jacob
  • Plum
  • BCBG
  • Reitmans
  • Sears
  • The Bay
  • Narcissist
  • Barefoot Contessa
  • Spank
  • Fairweathers
  • Bryans
  • Tenth and Proper
  • Plenty
  • Zara
  • H&M
  • Frocks
From that entire list of stores, I found ONE dress that fits my prerequisites. This lovely little number is exactly what I'm looking for! She's called "Meg" and she's the creation of Lynn Lugo


Isn't she perfect? So Audrey Hepburn. So simple. So elegant. So what's the problem?

They had a size 8 and a size 14. I felt a bit like Goldilocks (minus the 3 bears). This one is tooooo big. This one is tooooo small. Where's the one that's just right?

Apparently, it's at the Lynn Lugo warehouse! Well actually, thanks to the amazing staff at frocks, its en route to their store. So why am I still in a tizzy? The dress is a size 10. And although the size 8 zipped up when I tried it on, it was ridiculously tight around the midriff. So much so, that I'm afraid the 10 may still be uncomfortably tight. However, the staff and owners of frocks think otherwise. In fact, they're so convinced it will fit, they didn't require that I pay for the dress up front (as is their normal policy since they are first and foremost a sample store, and must pay to bring the dress in to their store). Isn't that sweet of them?

I really hope they're right. Like really really really HOPE they're right. I am afraid to admit how much I hope they're right. I'm worried, I'm setting myself up for a huge disappointment.

*crosses fingers*

Did I mention it's in black shantung silk? Every girl needs a simple black party dress.

[mantra] please fit, please fit, please fit, please fit, please fit, please fit, please fit, please fit [/mantra]

No comments: